Thursday, January 15, 2009

To Be Remembered


I'd like to be remembered to those I've left behind;
I'd like to be known for the happiness of a different kind.
I will not be forgotton in a decade or two;
But to be remembered when you see a sky of blue.
When you see a shining star from the heavens above;
I know you will think of me with joy and tender love.
On a quiet day when the rain falls from a cloud;
I want you to picture me and know that I am proud.
And when you're happy and putting life to its test;
Remembering the dreams and things that I liked best.
When our ties were broken, something still between us binds;
You can say you did what was best with an open and clear mind.


My heart I gave, so one could love and be loved like me;
My eyes gave sight to two, now they also can see.
My liver came just in a nick of time to save life to live anew.
And remember the kidneys working their miracle
with the help of the doctor's crew,
With my lungs, there is fresh air, and breathing to relieve;
Just think of all the things we were blessed to achieve.

Now and then you'll feel a touch on your shoulder;
That's me, watching you grow stronger and bolder.
There is one thing I could not give away;
My spirit which sees all of you each and every day.
You are free now to have a second chance at life;
Feel no guilt, waste no time, Live, Live, Live, without strife.

My soul leaps for joy because I'm in Heaven now;
At my feet there are angels that salute me and bow.
I'll never really be gone, because you'll see me everywhere you look;
Because, I'm working - sitting next to you on a bus, or just in my kitchen, a new recipe to cook.
I might even be a Doctor - or a computer kid whiz;
I bet you! You'll hear me on the radio or in show biz.

My family, try not to grieve for me today;
For I walk proudly with many in a very special way.
I've got to sign off for now, another needs my seat;
For I've been promoted up here to a new job that is hard to beat.

By Patricia A. Sammons,
A Liver Recipient 1984

So far Amanda has saved 6 lives

Thanks go to Angela (Amanda's sister) for sending me this poem!

No comments: